Looking for Tool: Mage gear comparison spreadsheet.
I have used a heap of Mage “DPS” tools, some religiously, others I have dabbled with yet found a unusable for some reason or another (not necessarily due to wrong info, or difficult UI, rather because I am using it at work.. and ummm flashing WoW graphics is a give away). So in the end I knocked up a spreadsheet that did what I wanted.. well nearly – it ain’t pretty, and it probably isn’t all that accurate, but it gives me a close enough idea to choose between 2 (or 3 or 4) items to make up a set of gear that I am happy with.
So what I am wondering is, is there anyone out there with the skill and desire to take my concept and clean it up and make it really useful to me… and to anyone else out there that is interested.
What already exists.
To start with I will list the tools that I have used in the past, so if anyone is looking for something to use, they can find something… and it may be all you are looking for. I am sure there are many more…
Allows you to pull your character from WoWArmory, create additional gear sets including gems and enchants and then compare 2 at a time (current with xyz gear set). All the gear, gems and enchants is there for selecting – it’s very visual.
- It’s too visual.. I mean it looks great, but I can’t really be discrete at work…
- It takes a while to compose each item – search for the item, choose it, the gems, the enchants, the slot, the set etc.
- I can’t compare wishlist x with wishlist y.
- It doesn’t print a nice clean spreadsheet with the info – you need to be able to mouse over the items, and I don’t want icons, I want names.
OK this is is great.. I love it, in fact it was the spreadsheet that started me on the road to creating my own.
It accounts for specs, gear, gear sets. You can add your own gear into the spreadsheet for selection.
You can play with your spell rotation etc.
At a glance you can see how your stats will come out.
- It’s only a little bit visual.. the logo.. but for me it’s still a bit indiscreet.
- It can take a while to add in the gear – not a big problem, as it makes it much easier to select later – but when you create the gear and the stats (with enchants gems etc) then that’s the way it stays (until you create another one with the changes – either adding or overwriting the gear of choice)
- I can’t easily compare multiple sets
- It doesn’t print very well
Vontre’s mage dps spreadsheet
A hardcore one from Elitist Jerks
I think this one is great too, but once again the emphasis is on the dps/ rotations etc.
Luckily it isn’t too visual… yay…
- It’s pretty hardcore.. too hardcore for me.
- While the gear helps to make up the numbers, it isn’t really about the gear, it’s about squeezing the last bit out of your dps through rotations buffs etc.
- So I can’t easily compare multiple sets.
Theorycraft-o-Matic by Lhivera
Of course there is Lhivera’s Theorycraft-o-Matic, which is great to see what you could do in any given fight, but once again it’s about the dps, and not about the gear.
Mind you it’s a great way to toy around with your specs based on current gear. Really if you haven’t run yourself through it… you should.
The other things is I have used the relative +stat values in my spreadsheet to try and value the gear – so it is sort of a needed addition/compliment to my spreadsheet.
I really haven’t had the chance to play with this. I opened it once, but was a bit to visual for the work environment😉
That said, I have heard great reports about it.
What I am looking for.
OK, so in a way I am not looking for a dps spreadsheet – I am looking for a gear +damage/+hit/+haste/+crit spreadsheet.
- It must be printable.
- I want to be able to see the base stats for 3 different gear sets at any time, which changes as I choose different gear.
- I want to be able to have multiple of above. So I can have a +SpellDamage comparison, +Hit, PvP etc.
- I want a selection of gear, that I can pick between, all on the one screen, but option to select for one set, but not others.
- The ability to add/subtract gems and enchants from the gear selection.
- Ability to give each stat a certain value.
- I would love it if +hit gained no additional value if that gear set had already reached max.
What I am not looking for.
- I am not really interested in what my dps might be (although I know this is a component of the whole), when gear is combined with talents etc. My focus is on the gear itself.
- Groovy graphics – actually, any graphics
Some examples of what I have put together or referenced… (Note some of this is woefully out of date, but I was just looking for screen shot examples.)
I have put the key to the spreadsheets at the bottom.. good chance you don’t want to read that (although you have read this far)
This Stat summary screenshot is pinched from Mage Optimizer – it’s great, if I can have this for each set, all on one page & printable, I will be a happy man.
The Dodgy stuff I have put together…
Relative “+” values (+dam, +hit, +haste, +crit)
The relative values of the various bonuses based on Lhivera’s calculations.
My list of potential gear candidates, by Slot & source
The “side by side” comparison of gear per slot.
My Stat’s summary – how the 3 sets compare against each other.
Now obviously this is a much simpler/more limited version of Mage Optimiser’s – but generally this is what I want.
OK, now going a bit deeper.. I want to compare the same options against 2 options.
But in this case, I don’t care about the whole values for the stat, just the +/- against the target gear.
OK so this one is the “Target Set” – what I want to log on/off in of a night.
I use this to build it on my character (or Outfitter set)
Might as well compare the gems while I am at it.
OK, so you have seen the pretty pictures, what do all the columns etc mean.
Present on Relative
Hit demo = my sheet name…
Used, His & Cur. Used for these calculations, Historical – last time I checked Lhivera’s page, current – this time when I checked Lhivera’s page (His & Cur are just backup figures if I want to change my Used numbers)
Hit Required. The +Spell Hit I require per +level of mob and rating that equates to. Note I have taken my talent into account for this.
Present on gear comparison, Multiple compares, Target sets, Gem Analysis
SD = +Spell Damage – I have kept this simple – it is any +spell damage. (I don’t plan on specing anything other than fire)
SC = Spell Crit rating.
Hit = +Spell Hit rating.
Has = +Haste Rating
Res = Resilience.
SCEQ = The value of +damage that this crit rating would give, based on the relative values in my table)
HitEQ = The value of +damage that this +Spell Hit rating would give, based on the relative values in my table)
HasEQ = The value of +damage that this Haste rating would give, based on the relative values in my table)
SDEQ = SD + SCEQ + HasEQ – doesn’t include Spell Hit. So consider this the damage against something where you are already hit capped – ie. Trash.
SDEQBoss = SD + SCEQ + HitEQ + HasEQ – Consider this the damage against something where you need +Hit – ie. Bosses
D, T, H (also other letters on other sheets) = the “checkbox” y/n whether they should be considered for the set.
Notes = Notes. Where to get it, Gem options etc.
Sta + Int = Stamina and Intellect stats for the item. I don’t really care about Spirit etc, so just listing those.
Spec = Special Damage. ie. +150 damage for 10 sec. Chance of proc for +100 dmg etc.
Present on My Stat’s summary
The names are changeable of course… and might simply be +DMG, +HIT, PvP… but then you might have a sheet for each type so you can play etc…
Raw = Pure + damage
Spec = total of potential +damage from special things/events
Norm = The calculated SDEQ
Boss = The calculated SDEQBoss
Sta = Stamina using this gear
Hit = Spell Hit
SC = Spell Crit
Int = Intellect, the smaller number = estimated crit gained from Int.
Anyway, if there is someone out there that is interested in developing this idea a bit further, drop me a line.
Just want a gander at the spreadsheet… well be warned it’s bloody ugly… but I might be convinced
Gnomer and Out!