I think I’m a little delirious, because you know, the title of this post probably has nothing to do with the contents of the post..
let me check…
Ummm no, not really, err, maybe kinda.
No Yankees, but there is some Fire Mage Talent commentary
** WTF! **
So, how ’bout that new 31 point talent tree?
Is the question I got asked, to which I responded…
31 point talent tree?
Yeah, a Gnome with his finger on the pulse… wrong pulse, but there is a pulse there somewhere and a vein, maybe just give me another dozen attempts to jab that needle in…
So what’s the best way for me to approach this… yeah leave it to someone else…
So, how ’bout that new 31 point talent tree? Can’t wait to see your write up.
Honestly, I’m worried. We’re losing a good chunk of our PvP talents and are getting no new ones inside the Fire tree itself.
- Increased range of Fire Blast. Luvs it.
- Molten Shields affect to Molten Armor now affects spells as well. Too bad I still have no desire to use that armor.
- +20% crit chance on Scorch
- Arcane Repulsion and Improved Blink. Not in the Fire tree, but both very well suited for our PvP play style.
- Impact’s proc chance reduced by 3% (this is huge)
- We’re losing our Spell Reflect from Molten Shields
- No more Interrupt immunity from Burning Soul
- Scorch effect only has a 66% chance to proc
- No more instant, free Flamestrikes
- Redesigned Pyroblast does not seem conducive to PvP
- Combustion is just ASKING to be dispelled
- Fiery Payback GONE. No more anti-Execute and no more disarms.
- First tier of Arcane is still pretty lackluster to get at Arcane Repulsion and Improved Blink
- Improved Counterspell is no longer reachable (I didn’t use it anyway); Magic Absorption and Arcane Fortitude are gone.
- The entire Fire tree seems far more geared toward buffing Fireball/FrostFirebolt… But dammit, I don’t want to be casting those spells.
Sorry to vent… got up this morning, saw this and just went “blaaah”. Doesn’t help that the PvE Frost tree is sad too (no more Winter’s Chill and Focus Magic make me a sad Frostie).
To which my real reply was:
Awesome… I was wondering how to post on this… you just did it for me!
My take on going all the way and 31 point talent trees.
On going all the way… Larisa, she of the “I don’t theorycraft Magecraft mentality” has already discussed this.
When it comes to Fire, it’s just natural that you would go all the way, in fact it feels so natural that I wont call it the fire tree any longer, to me it’s the Nature tree.
When I was a young Mage, I went all the way.. with Nature, (or fire for you non-believers) and I have to say it was so much fun that I forgot that I was 8th on the DPS meters (yeah, that was in 5 mans… ohh well).
To me there was nothing better than mixing Blastwaves and Dragon’s Breath and other “PvP” talents with PvE raiding, in fact forsaking rading talents for PvP talents seemed just natural
THEY WERE FUN!
Sure, they were also useless in a PvE environment (which is where I was at that point in my WoW-life), but I’m not the sort of Gnome that listens to folk that tell me I am doing it all wrong… if I was, I wouldn’t Arena as Fire.
There are two ways of looking at this right now.
- The WoWhead Talent calculator, which gives you a 31 point talent tree and 76 points to spend (err whoops… that’s not right, but you can do just about anything), or
- The MMO Champion “I’m going to bring you right back down to reality” talent calculator.
You know I like options, so if I have an option in this, I am going with WoWhead… I don’t like reality so much, so leave me with 76 points to spend in a 31 point tree and I am almost happy.
Only almost, because knowing that things will change between now and 3.3.666 (the pre-Cataclysm-talent-reset-patch-whose-number-I-just-made-up) I can’t get too worked up about the current state of the talents.
I will say, that if they stay the way they are, we are going to have some fun talent trees, where the talents will be fighting between PvP and PvE It will be kind of a PvPE tree.
The thing I really like, is if you put all your talents into one tree, the ONLY tree, you only have one point left!
What are you going to do with one point?
Just ignore it until it goes away!
Seriously, any noob can see that this will be the only viable spec!
Gnomer and Out!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.