There are many objectives in a battleground. In fact there are several objectives for running an battleground in and of itself.
Objectives of running a BG:
- Honor: Honor = gear, gems and other stuff.
- Arena Points: the 1st random BG each day award you arena points. You need Arena Points to get some of the better PvP gear.
- To Learn: you learn to kill effectively, you learn situational awareness, you learn how to hate the enemy, you learn so you can:
- Have fun: the better you get and your team mates perform, the more fun you have. Some of the best BGs I have been in were losses… I told you about one a while back.
Objectives when running a Battleground:
- Capping Towers & Bunkers
- Recapping Towers and Bunkers
- Capping Graveyards
- Capping Resources
- Killing bosses
- Blowing gates
- Destroying demolishers
- Disarming bombs
- Touching relics
- Capping workshops
- Destroying Towers
- Running and Capping Flags
- Protecting your flag carrier
- Stopping enemy flag carriers and returning flags
- Protecting your healers
- Killing or CCing their healers
- Winning the Battleground
I could go on, but now is the time to make one thing very, very clear…
Midfield is NOT an objective!
It is just a means to an end.
- Field of strife – not an objective
- Roads – not an objective
- Graveyard farming – not an objective
- Farming WSG midfield – NOT AN OBJECTIVE!
More Honor for doing right than taking (and losing) needless lives
Let’s get another thing straight, you will get more honor from a quick win than farming honor – at least if you entered through the random daily option. You get more honor for winning ANY battleground through the random interface that most people got in a good Alterac Valley previously. You get more honor for losing a WSG than your did for winning one previously.
If people stuck to the plan, most battlegrounds would be over in 10 minutes and you would be queuing for MORE. You can do 3 WSGs – right, in the time it takes to do one wrong!
We can’t cap if you can’t return
If you are new to battlegrounds, you may not be aware that us holding the enemies flag is not enough.. we need to hold our flag as well. If the enemy has it… well that right there is wasted time.
I was in a WSG the other night where I was Offense… and I was defense. To be fair I had the assistance of a Resto Shaman for the 5+ minutes I held the flag at our base, fighting off waves of Horde trying to take it back, in between spamming
Get our F’n Flag!
The good news is that the Alliance took down the enemy flag carrier and I capped.
The bad news is that the only reason we did, was that the enemy flag carrier left the boring uncontested safety of his own base to go honor farming as well. I doubt anyone intentionally took down the flag carrier… I dare say his raptor tripped and he broke his neck in the fall.
All down hill from there.
Unfortunately from then on I was defense. I was the one chasing the flag carrier down into their base. I was the one trying to stop them leaving our flag room. 8-9 other people just milling about in the mid-field doing diddly-squat.
We lost… it took a long time.. I was pissed off.. I had to re-queue knowing that I was probably facing another bunch of players that don’t know the difference between a football ground and a goal post.
Midfield is not an objective!
You have probably been told that if you control midfield you control the game.
This is true, but you need to add in why you are controlling mid-field.
You are controlling midfield to:
- Help you flag carrier get to the enemy base by distracting the enemy.
- Slow the enemy flag carriers giving your side precious seconds to cap 1st – preferably stopping them in their tracks
- Help your flag carrier make it back through the mid-field with your flag
- Stop the enemy flag carrier getting back through the midfield to their base.
that’s the only reasons you should be in midfield!
If you flag carrier is in trouble you should quit the midfield to help!
If the enemy flag carrier has made it to their base, you should quit the midfield to get the flag back!
If you can see it, call it.
If you can see the enemy flag carrier, call it out…
CALL IT OUT!
Can’t call it out, too busy doing uber dps?
PING THE MINI MAP!
Once you have called it… GET IT!
If I die in the flag room I make a point of waiting to see if the enemy flag carrier has gone down the tunnel. If they have I call:
If they haven’t I call:
ramp or gy.
Then I release, then I pwn them no matter which direction they are heading.
Why don’t you join me?
If I can do it, you can do it and probably better.
I’m just a poor little gnome.. you guys are big and forceful.
Apply that force in the right manner and we will win.. Win… WIN!
I can run the flag.
I can take down a flag runner
You can too!
BTW: Thanks for all the honor I receive from your farming… yeah I get that too!
Grrrrrr! It just happened again… I so want to smack you people around the head until you play the game… to win.
PLAY THE GAME!
Gnomer and Out!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.