It would be easy to make the mistake of thinking that the new Random Battleground interface is just LFD for Battlegrounds.
Well, because it is the same thing… but.. BUT!
There is one fundamental difference… actually, there are two…
Nearly everyone “grew up” doing the instances, most of you wouldn’t dare set foot in a battleground before until one of your mates said…
Battlegrounds are easy – Honor falls from the sky – Honor buys gems – Gems give money – therefore Money is falling from the sky!
Please tell me about your mates, all their details including home address because I am going to send someone around to put them down right now…
No seriously, the phone is in my hand, I have an international ring of PvP lovers at my finger tips who would just love to put it into real world action.
The other important reason is this.
In a 5 man instance, with players that are clearly overgeared for the instance, one or two relatively AFK players wont cause a issue, because we are playing against the AI.
No matter how badly you perform, you still get your Emblems at then end.
In battleground you count, everyone on your team counts, because you aren’t playing against AI and if you don’t win the battle… you have just wasted everyone’s time.
It’s easy to fix – you have to play to WIN!
Now this runs the risk of deteriorating into weeks of me naming and shaming people – I don’t want to do that, honest I don’t, I much prefer to hold up shining examples of what people do right in the battlegrounds.
If you don’t L2PLAY, I will contact Megan and come and ask her to write a series of posts on people that shouldn’t be allowed in Battlegrounds – in the only way she knows how!
Mmmm that isn’t such a bad idea…
Right, so I’m an angry little Gnome breathing balls of fire… what am I going to do about it?
I’m going to ask in a polite, if squeaky voice, that you put just a teeny weeny bit more effort into learning the battlegrounds before you ruin them for all of us. You can be sure that veterans will soon give up on the random aspect and just go and pwn (you) with their mates, so do the world a favor and read!
Where to begin…
Well you can start with my awesome posts on the subject (if you don’t agree they are awesome, you are welcome to eat a pyroblast!)
- Life is Cheap #1
- Life is Cheap #2
- Life is Cheap #3: The First Battle Grounds as PvE player
- Life is Cheap #4: Your First Alterac Valley as PvE player
- Life is Cheap #5: WSG PvP for PvE’rs
- Dear Mr. Euripedes, Sir
- I Love CriticalQQ: PvP for Fire Mages!
- It’s Simple Mathmatics
- Alterac Valley: ALL IN or Not ALL IN, that is the Question
- The Flag is Noob Bait
- It’s about the towers: Objectives in Wintergrasp
- You lost the BG… what have you got to say for yourself?
- The Horde are in our base eating our babies
- See, I Told You!
- What is Wrong with You?
- Honor in Battlegrounds
- Why did we lose? Ah…. BLUDGERS!!
- SotA tips, better than a guide
- Midfield is NOT an objective!
- Squidly’s Shaman PvP Tips #1: Resto FTW!
- Squidly’s Shaman PvP Tips #2: The Symbiotic Relationship
- Squidly’s Shaman PvP Tips #2: Resto Shaman PvP specs? (OK, I never said I was good at math)
- Squidly’s Shaman PvP Tips #3: Stoneclaw Totem
- Squidly’s Shaman PvP Tips #4: Backend of a Battleground
- We Want You! Healers in Battlegrounds
- Gnome Goggles on: Alar BG Helper
Right enough of my rubbish, now go an read over the genius of these folks.. it’s not limited to them, but this is all I am giving you right now. When you find (or maybe you have written) a good one, tell me and I will add it to the list.
- Cynwise’s Battlefield Manual
- Nerf My Shaman
- PvP Nub
- PvP source
- Fiery Weapons (yes it’s twink PvP, but the strats can be converted with a little brain power)
If we bloggers are all a bit avaunt garde for you, then of course you can read through WoW.com’s compendium of Battleground and PvP guides.
I want to win, unfortunately I am reliant on my BG team mates – if that means you, please do your job. Hell, do it badly, but at least follow the rules of the encounter and we might still win.
I also want you to play battleground… I really, really do. But you wouldn’t walk into a boss encounter without the slightest idea and in relation to PvP, bosses don’t put up a fight.
Come join me in pwning the opposition, not grovelling at their feet!
Gnomer and out
PS: thanks to Sydzy for supplying me with the macro shot.. it’s pretty common, and it sums up the frustration that veterans have with newbies…
Don’t be like Jeff!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.