Are you a Zero Tolerance player?
- Do you have a 1 strike and your out, or a 3 strikes and your out policy?
- Is your policy influenced by your relationship with the other player?
- Is your policy influenced by your real life mood?
- Does this tolerance level exist in your real life as well, or purely in WoW?
A Real World Example
My ex-wife has a zero tolerance policy with adults. Her belief is they are big enough to know better and there is no excuse for errors, not even with new experiences.
She has a slightly different attitude towards Odin. He gets 2-3 strikes before reaching zero tolerance (of anything, related or not) for the rest of the day.
Conversely, she expects unlimited forgiveness in return. She had more accidents in our car in the 1st year of driving than I have had in 24 years of driving. She has now been driving for 3 years and the car is currently at the panel beaters being repaired.
On the other hand I have a floating tolerance level. My wife can stack the car as many times as she needs, as long as she learns from the accident and preferably doesn’t make the same error twice (or maybe 3 times if I’m having a good day).
Bringing it back to WoW
- How many wipes before you pack your virtual bag and hearth?
- How much badmouthing of yourself, or others can you stand?
- Will you show solidarity for guildies when they are unjustly treated?
- Do you let the DPS die if they pull aggro once… twice.. or is it three times?
- Do you let people with cold feet die in the fire that they love so much?
When you join or form a party or raid do you:
- Demand ICC25 Gearscores?
- Accept only those with Achievements for encounters well beyond what you are doing?
- Analyze a character as soon as they get into the party and kick them before you start the slaughter?
- Drop group the second you see the iLevel 200 character in your random instance
- Drop group the moment you get Oculus/Old Kingdom/[Insert your least favorite instance here]?
Does your relationship influence any of this?
- a random instance pugger get -2 strikes?
- a local server pugger get -1 strike?
- a friend of a friend get -0 strikes?
- a guildy get +1 strike?
- an ingame mate get +2 strikes?
- a real life mate get +10 strikes?
- a significant other get unlimited strikes?
Is there such a thing as a second chance?
Assuming you have had bad experiences with someone in the past, maybe even right now, and they have failed your zero tolerance policy, do they ever get a second chance?
- Do you wait for them to apologize then put them back on the probation list?
- Do you just clear the slate if enough time has gone by?
- Do you accept “bonds of friendship” from other mates?
- Will you drop group immediately if you encounter the same person in the future.. say a couple of months, even if you can’t remember why you put them on ignore?
- Do you believe a bad player can learn and grow?
- Do you believe that a bad person can before good?
Some of the best times have started as the worst
I don’t know about you, but some of my best instance runs have started looking the worst.
There was the group the other day that on the 1st wipe, I apologized, the conversation went like:
Squidly: Sorry Guys
Player b: Wait, No, don’t go please!
Squidly: lol I wasn’t dropping group I was apologising for letting us all die.
They were a great group. Sure they were low powered and the going was a little slow, but they were nice, the run was fun and there were no more wipes.
Or there was the group where Squidly, the Resto Shaman was 2nd on the DPS (the tank being 3rd)
- Bad.. well, not the best.
- Worth a /kick or /ragequit? No, once again good group of people, if not players.
I don’t normally dps when I am healing, but I went down the discipline Priest route.. you know, prevent the incoming damage… in this case it was offense = defense. Hey, it was kind of fun find the right balance between dps and heals.
Your turn.. what’s your tolerance level?
What are your triggers for instant /kick, or for allowing someone back to your friends list?
Gnomer and Out!
PS: This is the post that got munched… memory being the funny thing it is, I am sure what I had already drafted was much better than this, but this is often as good as it gets 2nd time around… that’s why I have it when the WordPress Application trashes a post.. the original inspiration and flow are gone forever. Yet, I have given that stupid application about 50 strikes now…
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.