I rolled a Shaman, a Draenei Shaman.
I will be OK!
You see, as much as I love my Gnome, my Gnome Mage, my Gnome Fire Mage, I needed a break.
- A break from 3,2,1,1,1,3,1,1,2,1,3.
- A break from Living Bombs and Hot streaks.
- A break from polymorph (Ohhh, that break was called WoLK wasn’t it.)
- A break from raiding and dailies and rep grinds and emblems and….
While the best break might be a complete break, quitting WoW, there is an alternative, an alternative therapy.
I have over the years had 3 mains (only one of which made it to level cap), the couple of alts I have had have only been bank alts, mules to cart my AH spoils.
- This time it’s different. This time I have broken the level 30 barrier and I am approaching 40 with a flaming arrow.
- This time I am shunning my DPS grinding spec when I am in instances, refusing to do anything but heal.
- This time I am unencumbered by memories of the “good ol’ days”, the nerfs, the QQ, the talent point refunds.
- This time I am play the character for what it is now, right now, without any real concerns about whether I am getting it right or wrong.
Sure I would be a deceitful Gnome if I didn’t admit that I have read some Shaman guides, found the best leveling specs and grabbed the gear to fill my missing slots from the AH… Appropriate gear.
The thing is, when I log onto Gnomeaggedon it’s all work. My professional wizard’s hat is donned, my staff of blasting the living hell out of mobs is picked up, my consumables are checked and it’s down to business.
Like a job there is the usual “same day, different shit” “paper shuffle”. Get dailies, do dailies. Accept raid invite, accept summons, clear trash, kill boss, rinse and repeat.
My “workmates” are relying on me to turn up on time, fit for work. Doctor’s certificates are expected if you can make the run. Much consternation, shuffling and cursing occurs when we are down one or two bodies.
Pure, like New Zealand
When I log onto Squidly, the world is my oyster. Sure it’s the same old content, for the 4th time… But when that pull went wrong yesterday and I got 5 mobs instead of one, it was a joy to wipe the jungle with their blood. I cared little that the healy mobs were extending the lives of the warrior mobs, it was all pure fresh air… Kind of like the holiday ads for New Zealand suggest.
I come away for encounters like that, not jaded about having to replenish mana, not fussed that all that dropped was grays.
I come away revitalized!
- It make facing my Mage UI palatable again.
- It makes hotstreaks fun.
- It makes me want to sheep, pig, penguin and turtle mobs for that now remembered joy of playing the character for the sake of fun rather than work.
Of course I can’t wait till I can Hexx… I always wanted a frog polymorph…
Gnomer and Out!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.