I thought I would share some and I am interested in yours. I know that circumstances and environment (raid, grinding, PvP) influence when and how you might use these skills, so I am interested in different uses and perspectives.
You can use your Invisibility at 1 or 2 moments.
- In the initial rush to get past the front guards, or
- Once you are past the guards to elude “capture” (Why don’t they take prisoners?)
The advantage of 1 is that if you have enough Invisibility juice you can get in unnoticed, and maybe find a place to wait out your cooldown.
However I would recommend the 2nd one.
Shield up, Mount up, ride like the wind past the guards.
When you reach a safe “hiding” place, whether that’s your end destination or a good point to stop and regroup, hit Invisibility.
Assuming it was only NPCs following you, they will reset and you can have a breather before the next steps.
This is particularly useful if you do reach your destination…
- The mobs will reset allowing you to grab the quest in peace.
- If any PC’s happen to wander by at about that moment, then they might not see you reach the destination, giving you an extra 10 seconds to complete your covert operations.
30%, 50%, 70%, wipe avoidance?
An oldy but a goody.
While preparing for next trash pull, pop invisibility, and run in and dance with the (hopefully not stealth detecting) mobs. You don’t appear invisible to your party members, so there is a good chance they will rush in to help.
Knock up a macro that dismounts you and casts Slow Fall. Replace your current Slow Fall button with the macro. Now you can ride and jump, knowing when you hit the Slow Fall button it will cast with out issues.
For greater distance, cast Slow Fall, mount up, run and jump off the cliff. This will get you from the Lumbermill to the Blacksmith, or the Black smith to the Mine in Arathi Basin.
Of course now new and improved with more fun for the whole family. Why try to solo the assault on the blacksmith when you can Slow Fall your whole party and do some synchronized skydiving.
- To shed Aggro (poor healers)?
- To remove dots/curses etc?
- To round up the mobs for your AoE assault?
Do you block and stay the full duration in the hope the enemy will forget about you, or do you instantly unblock and let rip?
- Mana pot or health pot?
- At the beginning of the fight or as a last resort?
- Do you chew through them like lollies when grinding to reduce downtime?
Do you trust your pocket healers, or are you the first to drop your pot or health stone?
- Pop them every cooldown?
- Recreate them during battle so you can last that little bit longer?
- Wish you could hand them around?
It used to be pot, gem, evocate, pot, gem etc…
Now with the one pot per fight policy, and shorter cooldown, do you evocate 1st?
Do you do it every cooldown rather than stopping for a drink?
Do you have a Glyph of Evocation for the health regen as well?
Is this in your grinding rotation, cast till the mob is close, dragon’s breath, scorch, then finish it off with a little puff of wind from your cheeks?
Do you heedlessly charge the AoE pack and Dragon’s breath just to prod an instant Flame Strike (and regret it when the pack turns it’s attention to you)?
Are you a purist that loves the chaos of the knockback (like me, I love the chaos that fire brings), or are you following the line and Glyphing the knockback away?
- Do you save your trinket for rainy days?
- Do you pop your trinket before the tank has aggro just so you can use it 2 or 3 times in a fight?
You do have one don’t you?
They give them away like party favours these days. You used to have to fight for them, not anymore.
- Do you remember to use it?
- Is it in the bank for a rainy day/ just gathering dust?
- Do you remember to use this?
- Did you even drag it out of your spellbook?
Keep it till the end to maximize those last 20 seconds, or pop it up front for the promise of an instant Pyro?
- Did you bother?
- What was wrong with the sheep?
- Don’t you wish you could have sheep & penguin?
- Cash burning a hole in your pocket?
- Just can’t imagine being the wicked witch of the North without a black cat?
- Got a phobia of Snakes that you just need to get off your chest?
Don’t can’t we grab some vellum, drape it around the critter of your choice and add the Glyph of the “Cow” instead?
What did I miss?
What other tricks do you have up your sleeve (no not that one, that’s got Aces and Kings, try the other sleeve)?
Gnomer and Out!
PPS: Those of you that Scoff at Blizzard for occasionally giving us new icons without any other apparent buffs), just consider that of the 5 icons for Mage abilities above, 4 are considered to be the icon for something else. Even the Gnome Racial Escape Artist icon belongs to someone else…