I was mowing the lawn on the weekend when it occurred to me that people rarely notice a mown lawn, but they notice an overgrown one.
Then it occurred to me
As it is in real life it is in WoW.
- When a tank is hitting all the right buttons at the right time, you don’t notice. You just pew pew away without a care in the world.
When the tank doesn’t know or use the right rotations, or hits the wrong buttons or wrong skills you get plenty of time to notice on the ghost run…
AOE and bubbles and heals
- You notice the big numbers when you flame strike, blast wave etc
You don’t notice the bubbles or heals…
- You notice when the Pally doesn’t give you Salv, or there is no Pally.
You don’t notice when you don’t pull aggro…
- You notice when people aren’t ready, don’t have reagents, pots and food.
You don’t notice when everyone is outside the instance ready to go…
- I notice when Maiden’s Holy Fire is ticking or kills me.
- I notice when Attumen’s curse stops me hitting.
- I notice when my portrait is purple.
I don’t notice when the “curse” is removed immediately (I am often yelling at our priest long after the curse has been removed.)…
- I notice the big heal when I have 200 left.
I don’t notice the top up heals or the HoTs…
- I notice when the mob peels off the tank and consumes a party member, if not the whole party.
I don’t notice when someone carefully monitors and controls their threat…
- I notice when Aran’s fireballs and frostbolts hit me.
I don’t notice when they are interrupted…
- We all notice when the rogue sap fails, the sheep breaks or the shackle breaks.
We don’t notice when the CC’d target is kept till last…
It’s what you don’t notice that matters
When people are prepared and do things right, things move so smoothly that you don’t get time to think about what people are doing right.
Maybe at the end of the run it occurs to you how you shaved 1/2 hour or an hour of the usual time.
- Do you thank the healers after each boss fight?
- Do you thank the tank after each seemless run?
- Are you to busy stroking your epeen with the damage and healing meters to notice the interrupts, CC, decurses etc?
- Do you reward the lower damage dealers that use their utility abilities at the cost of their meter rankings?
- Do you thank the OT for swapping from damage gear to tanking gear without complaint, or the feral kitty that swaps to bear or tree form to get through the messy fight?
What don’t you notice? (now you have time to think about it)
How will you acknowledge the unseen in future?
Gnomer and Out!