OK, so my post on When is enough, enough? got me wondering.
If our gear is going to be redundant 1 hour after the release of WoLK, then where is the future value of “stock” that can be squirrelled away waiting for the release.
- Gear– fundamentally worthless
- Badges – Unknown
- Honor– Assuming it persists, it is unlikely that a new season will coincide with the release, so it will hold it’s value, but only against a new season, and assuming there isn’t another reward revamp.
- Badges– worthless for current gear, so will there new be new badge gear released with WoLK?
- Crafting patterns– I assume, like last release, that level 70 Rare & Epic patterns will hold no value in the future. The current epic level 70 pattern will be nothing but an expensive levelling item (assuming the mats are available), or a completest collectors item.
- Darkmoon cards – Once again an assumption, but I expect these will be nothing more that a collectors item, best case a money trap for the unwary AH investor.
- Raw Tradeskill Mats– I expect these will continue to hold their value for the normal reasons. Powerlevelling and people trying to progress their character level, not regress their farming.
- Enchanting Mats– for the main, the same as tradeskill mats, but I would expect a large influx of void crystals or Large Prismatic shards, as people (well enchanters at least) divest themselves of their previously epic level 70 gear, and pick up the Green level 71 gear.
- Gems– Gem crafters may see an increase in business, even in the old “blue quality” gems as people pick up and throw away new gear.
- Death Knights– What will DeathKnights require from crafters and the AH? I expect a lot of people will “reroll” deathknight, if only to try it out – so maybe there is a future untapped market.
- Inscriptions– Anyone got any idea what current mats will be in demand for people powerlevelling inscripting?
I’m not sure what I am going to do, but I guess as a starting point, I should divest myself of anything in the bank that is purple. The time will come, if it hasn’t already, where people will avoid pretty purples on the AH, saving the cash for ugly greens.
I begin to think that the world will very soon be in a holding pattern.
Gnomer and Out!