Gnomeaggedon is a Gnome – No Surprises there!
Why did I pick a Gnome?
For 2 reasons.
- I wanted to be a member of a “concept” guild of a friend’s called Little League.
- I had tried a (male) Human Mage, and, quite simply I couldn’t stand the way he ran. I didn’t want to to watch him for 60… 70… (soon) 80 levels.
Anyway, here’s the Pro’s & Con’s of playing a Gnome Mage (or any ranged Gnome).
- Extra Intellect
- Hard to Target
- Escape Artist
- Pick of Mounts
- Fireballs et al
Cons… mmm nothing… Ohhh OK.. one or two…
- Taurens – KoS
- Targeting (read Healing)
- Hey, I’m a guy and I think they are cute!
- They do look good and people love to pat them!
- You get lots of “Look after the little Gnome” and “Who didn’t heal the Poor lil bugger?”
Well, let’s not get too excited, but you can’t complain. I expect that Arcane Mages love it, but I’m fire all the way!
Hard to Target:
Only a bonus in PvP, but you try to follow the bouncing ball… errrr Gnome. OK, there is tab-targeting, but that split second (or 5) of Horde trying to target you maybe their last!
- Damn I wish I hot-keyed this, I wished it worked more often, I WISH I REMEMBERED TO USE IT.
- That said, One more escape route, especially in PvP means little man goes large! (Fireball that is!)
On a side note: Anyone know if you can combine Escape Artist, PvP Trinket & Blink in a Macro that works? Or does it blow all the cooldowns? Got a macro to share? Must work on this….
Choice of Mounts:
- Gnomes & Dwarves get their pick of all Alliance Mounts – No Mount too big, but Big folk can’t ride our mounts!
- Plus Gnomes look good on any mount!
- Plus Gnomes get rear-view mirrors and thrusters on their mounts (Good for styling hair on the move)
I only wish that Engineering mounts were available to non-Engineering Gnomes… I mean, Gnomes have engineering in their blood, regardless of whether they do it for a living (Make it like the Warlock or Pally mount.. just give us the Gyrocopter!)
Fireballs et al
- Hell, any spell looks truly awesome when it comes out of a player 1/2 the size of the animation!
- Looks good.. Is good (mmm… Sounds like a Gnome in general!)
On a side note, I tend to be 1st or 2nd on nearly all damage metres… My Reasoning: “it’s all that suppressed fury at the short jokes.. bottled up and redirected at boss mobs (or Tauren’s). I mean, seriously, when was the last time you saw a short boss mob (Apart from SteamVaults)?
I do want to plant a few humans in my garden.. and not just in real life…
I “know” we move at the same speed as the long legged races, but it really, really feels like I am taking 20 steps for everyone else, and I have following Night Elves in Ghost form! (I’m the other glowing ball.. but slower and with feet)
Taurens – KoS
Kick-on-Sight that is! Need I say any more?
Targetting (read Healing).
A bonus in PvP, a nightmare in PvE (or for any healer).
Yes I know you can Ctrl-Tab, or portrait/raid frame heal, but in the heat of the moment, healers sometimes forget, and it’s bloody hard to target that tiny jumping AoE machine that neglected Stamina for +Damage.
I expect it is the same dynamic for Gnomes as Taurens, but I will be buggered f I can jump a puddle, let alone an chasm.
LoS (Line of Sight)
OK, this is the big one… Rogues & warriors.. yeah whatever – up close & personal anyway.
Ranged.. what range? Is that a pebble I see before me? a twig? a bump in the road?
No Los, No Los, No Los… Damn…
How can you launch an earth shattering fireball from 41 yards, when you can’t see over your own feet?
You can’t just charge in and pretend you have the stamina and hope for the best…. /sigh
OK, On balance Gnomes Rock!
Well, at least if they aren’t standing behind one….
Gnomer and Out!